Ebook & Paperback Publisher

SPECIALIZING IN PARANORMAL ROMANCE AND HORROR

www.darkangelpublishing.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Darkest Hour Excerpt


The Darkest Hour



He Will Stop At Nothing to Make Brooke His Beloved

Brooke Vaughn is a beautiful heiress, having a passionate affair with her father’s mysterious, sexy attorney, Armand Vitalis, yet she is also drawn to her handsome childhood friend, Caleb Taylor, who might hold the key to her heart…and quite possibly her salvation.

Although Brooke finds herself irresistibly attracted to Armand’s dark beauty with his atrocious, womanizing reputation, instead of falling for Caleb’s golden-boy looks and kind heart, she finds herself torn between wanting them both.

But her suspicions darken as Armand’s strange ways and mysterious past reveals itself…now her sixth sense is screaming that he posses supernatural powers and possible murderous intentions. Why can they only meet at night, and why does he leave before the sun comes up?

Drawn into the alluring, seductive world of the vampire, she must decide whether to accept Armand’s dark kiss of eternity or Caleb’s sweet promise of forever...

Because the darkest hour always comes before the dawn…





Prologue

In the evenings, when the shadows grow long, I sit quietly in the family cemetery near the tombstones and I can hear the roses whispering to me of the dead, the marble headstones murmuring of lost loves, and the wind sighing with regret. In the dim light of the moon, I think about him. Armand. My immortal beloved, my vampire lover.

I cry as I tend to the graves of my loved ones. Sometimes when the moon is very high, flickering ghostly shapes onto the headstones it feels as though Armand’s dark eyes are watching me, commanding me to be strong, and to let go of Caleb. But how can I, when to do so would break his heart?

Was it really only one year ago that the earthquake, which shook our ancestral home down to the very foundation and damaged the cellar, led to the discovery that followed? Yes, I told myself, only one year ago….

And it was that same day my family realized that my lover was indeed different, and our secret was revealed at last. He was not flesh and blood, not human, not alive, and certainly not dead. But all male.

However, all they would see was a monster, a monster that must be dealt with and destroyed.

I was twenty-four years old at the time; and in the years to come I often wonder at what followed and speculate on how different everything might have been, if it hadn’t been for the earthquake...or my father requesting one of his many lawyers come to our mansion to revise his Last Will and Testament.

Our home, Vaughn Hall, was a mansion full of interesting oddities and beautiful fixtures and furnishings, which my twin-brother and I had taken for granted over the years, having lived our whole lives in it, and it is an peculiar place; for there is one very dark, curious corner in the cellar where the structure is rather unusual. It is at the far end of the huge room and seems to come to an abrupt halt—almost as if the builder had decided that he was tired of working on it and wanted to be done with it.

The magnitude of the earthquake loosened the foundation and the support beams within the hundred-year-old mansion and had to be repaired. A local contractor had come over to the mansion with his crew to do the restoration. The contractor said the corner would have to be rebuilt.

Then a few days later Kenneth called me and told me to come to the mansion, immediately. I was curious as to why he wanted me to come home in the middle of the day, and he had sounded so scared and strange on the phone that I made a special trip over from the other side of town. And I was curious about that eerie corner, and I decided to be there the morning they started the repairs on the wall.

My brother Kenneth and I had grown up in Vaughn Hall, presided over by my father during our childhood. I had assumed I knew every inch of it, that I had explored every room and every dark corner, but there were secret rooms within its walls, within our very own cellar.

Neither of us could believe our eyes…but there it was, amongst the dust and plaster; appearing through the debris…a huge, furnished room.

I loudly gasped when I saw it and grabbed Kenneth’s hand. “Oh, my God! I can’t believe it!” It looked so familiar, and then it hit me.

It contained an enormous four-poster bed with black satin sheets pulled down as if expecting someone to return at any given moment. There was a bookshelf swollen with books that nearly reached the ceiling, covering one entire wall. The floor and walls were made of stone, and there were no windows. There was a massive antique dresser, chairs, a table, and a marble fireplace. The room gave the strong impression that someone was living in this dark hidden room. It was a man's room that much was obvious by the dark furniture and the clothes. There were suits, jackets, and slacks hanging in the wardrobe closet…but there was also one very, very disturbing thing sitting in the far corner of the room that made me stare and stare…a coffin.

I had been here before. I knew this secret room, for it was his lair.


Chapter one
The Present

Soon after, I was summoned to the mansion, this time to see my stepmother Lena, who had been out of town during the incident, and I assumed she knew all about the peculiar discovery. I wasn’t sure what I was going to say or do. I only knew I had to protect my lover and myself.

My green sports car maneuvered through the open gates and drove down the private tree-lined road. The sun shining down through the clouds upon the gothic mansion and grounds was bright enough to get a clear view of the estate. It was a magnificent home with beautiful, intricate landscaped gardens, trees, statues, fountains, and a dense wooded area surrounding it. I parked in the circular driveway in front of the porch steps. I saw the door to the mansion open as I got out of the car.

I caught my stepmother Lena’s wicked smile, as she stood tall, regal, and menacing in the doorway of my family’s great mansion, Vaughn Hall, my ancestral home.

She tried to tell me what she and my brother had now come to suspect. But I only stared at her in sudden anger and my voice came out low and sarcastic, “A vampire? Really, Lena, you couldn’t come up with something better than that?”

“It’s true. I’m not making this up…why do I have the feeling that you know all about this? That you were the one who wants him to make his home…ours?”

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” I said strongly, staring her straight in the eyes.

“Sure, you don’t…” she sighed heavily. “Oh, Brooke. Why do you delight in causing such turmoil for us? To upset your father and me? Hummm? This is just madness, pure madness. It’s totally ludicrous. Your poor father’s health is declining and you act as though you want to push him over the edge!” her cool, calm exterior was shattered, she shook with anger. “Take off those damn sunglasses when I’m speaking to you!”

She stood on the portico, hands on hips, looking down at me while I stood rigid near the bottom stair. She stared at me in a harassed way, as if Armand was a bug that needed to be squashed…and squashed quickly. Obviously, she wasn’t going to invite me in.

I had dressed with deliberate care that morning, not wanting to be outdone by her and to show my authority. I had put on one of my best designer outfits, carrying my matching Gucci handbag, and put my long blonde hair up in a French-twist with diamond studs in my ears. But I could tell she wasn’t impressed by my expensive tailored clothing…why had I bothered? And why did I still consider her competition?

“That's not true, Lena—I swear it!” I reluctantly removed my dark glasses, squinting into the light, which hurt my eyes. I lifted a hand to shield them but I could still feel the afternoon sun burning my eyes, my skin. “I’m not trying to upset anyone…this isn’t about you or Father,” I said, imploring her with my eyes, my hands. “In fact just last night we discussed it, and at first I didn’t want to live in the mansion, but it seems very important to him, and he seems to think by living here it will help you and Father to accept him and mend this…this broken family of ours somehow. He has good intentions, honorable intentions, can’t you see that?” I hesitated, waited for her to respond and when she didn’t, I spoke, “Lena, listen to me, please. Just hear me out, I’m going to marry him whether you and Father agree or not.”

I sighed, my blue eyes clashing like silent swords with her brown ones. I had to find a way to convince her I was serious; and that this was no idle threat.

“And by the way, we want to live in my suite of rooms…Oh, don’t look at me like that, the mansion is big enough for all of us…” I said, exasperation seeping into my voice, “I don’t understand the big deal,”

“The big deal? Ha! The big deal is that you are like a constant thorn in our side, trying to draw blood every chance you get. I know you! You are just doing all this out of defiance.

“And just to remind you, I am the head of this mansion now, Brooke. Hence, any decisions regarding the mansion are mine at present.” Anger blazed her eyes as she glared at me. “And I’m not quite sure I want you and your so-called lover under our roof. I just don’t trust him. Besides, your father doesn’t need the drama…he is a very sick man. I really would prefer not to have you living together! I’m not sure I want that strange man living permanently in my mansion!” she stormed at me and then added, “You’re being extremely selfish, as usual, Brooke. You never help out around here or stay long enough to be a real comfort to your father. I’m the one who cares for him now. You and your brother have been no help to me since his stroke!”

“Don’t be a drama queen, Lena. I help out plenty! Who do you think has been managing my father’s corporation since his stroke? Hum?” I glared up at her. “ME! That’s who.”

Her voice grew softer now, quieter, “I know that, Brooke, and your father and I are very appreciative. But it’s I who brings him his meals, bathes him, dresses him, and cares for his every need.”

“I offered to hire a nurse.”

“A nurse? I don’t think so, and your father would hate having a stranger touch him.” She prowled back and forth near the top stair, her green silk dress swishing back and forth, revealing a shapely leg from time to time, and her matching three-inch high heels. She looked very attractive. Her brown shoulder-length layered locks were stylishly flipped up with a fringe of bangs gracing her forehead. Her makeup was perfect. Diamonds hung from her ears and several diamond and gold bracelets dangled from one arm. Those jewels sparkled and glowed, throwing bright rays of light onto my face and into my eyes, blinding me. I squinted and watched her full red mouth twist into an ugly frown.

“I don’t think you understand, Lena…we need the mansion. I have already promised him that we would live in it together after we’re married, and I can’t go back on my word!” I said, putting steel into my words, but she wasn’t listening. I could tell by the way she kept shaking her head at me and wringing the handkerchief in her hands. “I’m going to marry Armand…”

“You’re so naive! You’re just trying to destroy your father!” she screamed at me, looking as if she was on the verge of becoming hysterical, but then her eyes blazed with fury. “You hardly know him. You’re trying to put your father in an early grave by marrying this man, Brooke. He’s your father’s attorney; he doesn’t even come from a proper family!

“Look, I know you were very sad and lonely after your mother died and that she was very fond of Armand, but I don’t think it’s respectable to date the help, young lady. Where does he come from? Nowhere! Who are his parents? Nobody! Does he have a drop of blue blood in him? No! We don’t know anything about him. All we do know is that he is…he is rather strange and spooky. I don’t like him; there is something sinister about that man. I told your father to let him go as soon as he’s done here.

“So, you can’t marry Armand now, you just can’t!

I’ve already told Kenneth and your father what you’re planning, and they think you’re rushing into this. It’s too fast, too soon. Why? Why the hurry? Kenneth doesn’t trust him either and…and he thinks you might be in serious danger! And I have to say, I feel the same way…there is just something different about him…your brother almost has me convinced the man really is a vampire. He says that he casts no shadow, and the he locks the door to his room during the day, claiming he has insomnia, and needs to sleep. But when Kenneth unlocked the door and went in, he wasn’t there! And the bed was still made…then he mysteriously shows up after sundown…and refusing to eat meals with us. It’s all so strange!” she looked worried suddenly, which seemed odd for her. Lena’s voice trembled, “Haven’t you ever had any suspicions about him? There is something just not right about him, dear. Anyway, you cannot marry him; you’re going to have to break it off with him. Especially after what we found…what we found in the cellar…a coffin!”

“Why? So, I can marry someone I don’t love from a more prestigious family? To keep up appearances? I know you’ve been hoping all these years that I’d marry Jonathan Michaels, Father’s best friend’s son,” I smiled wickedly, “But I’ll never marry someone I don’t love just to appease my father or to further the business! This isn’t the dark ages; you can’t arrange a marriage for me!”

“Fine, you don’t have to marry him, or anybody, right now. But Brooke, please, think about what you’re doing!” she sighed heavily. “Maybe he’s just using you, Miss Brooke Vaughn. Even I can admit that you are young, beautiful, and you have a young firm body that many men find desirable and alluring. And you will come into quite a bit of money soon, and you will own quite a bit of the stock in your father’s multi-million dollar corporation when he passes on…what man wouldn’t find all that appealing and attractive?

“However, if it’s the mansion you’re after, and you’re just trying to take it from me, then you can forget it!” Lena laughed viciously, cruelly, “Your own brother thinks he’s evil, that he is indeed a vampire, or he’s totally crazy, and I’m starting to believe it, too.” Her voice grew low and sarcastic. “Really, Brooke…I guess it could be worse…you could be in love with that nobody Caleb Taylor…”

“Caleb is a good man and I would be proud to be his wife, but we’re only friends…” Were we? Or were we much, much more than that? “If you and Father won’t accept Armand as my husband, then we shall just elope!”

“You will break your father’s heart,” she said sharply, “I believe you create these foolish scenarios out of spite for me, don’t you? Why, Brooke? Why are you doing this?”

“Because I love him…”

I was suddenly aware that several of the servants were watching and listening from the upstairs windows. They backed away when they caught my hard glare, but I was sure that they were still huddling close by, eavesdropping on our conversation.
She looked me over with disdain and spat, these words: “You don’t know what love is! Besides, you barely know him! I won’t let you do this to your father!” Those cold brown eyes fell on me. They held no love—no warmth. “Your father will cut you off without a cent!” she sneered, taking a step forward.

I squared my shoulders and stood taller, ready to do battle for the man I loved. No matter what she or my father said or did, it hadn’t stopped the great passion between us.

She shook her head at me. “Soon your father will be dead and I will rule here. I allow your twin-brother to live here, as long as he obeys my wishes and keeps to his rooms. But if you defy me, you and Kenneth will never, never see a cent of the Vaughn money! Furthermore, I’ll make sure that your offspring never gets a cent of it, either. Now get off my property!”

“You don’t have to worry, Stepmother, we would never lay claim to your share of the money…but it isn’t the money I’m after…just the mansion.” I laughed then—hard, brittle, ugly laughter—duplicating her way of laughing. “Why can’t you and Father respect my wishes? You don’t know him as I do, Stepmother…and you’re wrong about him—Armand loves me and we are going to be married!” My heart was hammering as we glared at each other for a long, long moment.

“He’s just a manipulator who used his many charms and good looks to seduce you…and you fell so easily into his lap. You little fool! I know his kind…Armand’s only after your money, the family fortune! But this is my mansion now! So, if you want to waste your life with that…that lunatic, be my guest, but don’t bring your trash here!”

Oh, I was livid! How dare she say unkind words about the man I loved! She was always putting me down and now she was attacking Armand…her words hurt and cut into my heart, shredding it, but I wouldn’t let her see how her mocking hurt me, so I dug my nails into my palm to keep from railing back at her.

“Believe what you want, and you don’t have to worry, Aunt Lena,” I began, “I would never lay claim to the mansion, if it is truly my father’s wish that it goes to you after he passes on. I will respect and honor that…but don’t mess with me!” I hissed, “I am still CEO of my father’s corporation!” My cruel, nasty smile transformed into a sadistic, forced laugh that made her wince. “Farewell, Lena, and you’re wrong—Armand is not crazy! He does love me, and we will be together!

“I feel sorry for you, Lena…to have never known a love like this. The power it gives me, the joy it brings, the pleasure it bestows…how can you or anyone ask me to give that up?” my voice was hoarse and I fought back tears. “You will be all alone someday, because you will put my father in an early grave, not me! I love my father, but it’s my life and I choose to live it with Armand at my side...with or without your blessing.”

My heart was pounding as we glowered at each other for a long, long moment. And then to my surprise, she whipped around, still shaking her head at me, and disappeared back inside Vaughn Hall.

I felt a surprising sense of triumph, for I had not backed down—for once, I had not backed down! I stood there for a few minutes, then left, driving over to the condominium outside of town where I lived during the week, before making the long drive back to Vaughn Hall on the weekends. I couldn’t stay there tonight, though; I was too angry and defensive.

Sadly, I mused, our conversation had not gone well. She didn’t trust me or the man I loved…no one did, not even my own brother, Kenneth. And she was right, he had told me he was worried about me, and frightened too. But why should she worry? Was it just for the disgrace this would cause? Because she thought Armand was insane?
I sighed and pondered the strange situation I now found myself in. I had gone after Armand and made him my lover…or had he made me his? And it had caused the rift between Lena, my father, and I.

Lena was my aunt, my mother’s younger sister, and three months after my mother had died of cancer, she had moved in. They had been married for five years before my father, fifteen years her senior, had a stroke, leaving him partially disabled. Now it was up to her to manage the day-to-day operations of our mansion, and left up to me to oversee my father’s vast empire.

At this moment I loathed her. I wondered what my father saw in my stepmother, why did he defend her so?

I still cannot understand why my sweet, amiable father had married such a cold woman…for she was a beautiful ice queen, who I believed that behind closed doors was malicious and conniving, turning my father against me. She hated Armand and wanted to destroy him.

I locked the door behind me and heaved a heavy sigh. I wasn’t sure why I felt I had had to confront Lena, but something deep within me had compelled me to. And it was what Armand had wanted, but why?

I sighed wearily again. Maybe it was just time that the truth was exposed.

My condominium was spacious and cozy. It had three bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen, a laundry room, a large living room, and a two-car garage. I loved my simple home, filled with white wicker furniture and the tall bookcases holding my books and knick-knacks. Several ceramic angels—some I had bought, some that had been gifts over the years—decorated the mantel. A huge area rug dominated the floor and blended well with the light blue painted walls. Bright and cheery, unlike our 'family mansion', what we gloomily called Vaughn Hall. My big-screen TV was the only thing that seemed out of place in this serene, cozy setting. I had never been one to flaunt my wealth…well, except for my Jaguar parked in the garage.

I went into the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea when there was a loud rapping at my front door, startling me.


If you prefer an Ebook go HERE

If you prefer to buy a paperback copy go HERE

If you'd like a Kindle go HERE